1. The European elections and the European situation generally are the first application of Feld's Law of the Ultimate Check and Balance I have actually witnessed in my lifetime. I really hope it won't come to that here in the US. But it easily could. The utter inability of people to imagine a state of societal collapse ensures that when it comes, it comes suddenly.
(Feld's Law of the Ultimate Check and Balance: The ultimate check and balance on any political system is the mob with pitchforks and torches.)
2. Just in case folks for marriage equality were starting to feel good, North Carolina wants to remind you that your rights can be denied at any time. But don't take it too hard. Everyone's fundamental rights can be denied by a suitably motivated electorate. But if you were wondering why Obama has been holding back on SSM, wonder no more.
3. It's been rather grey in DC. That may explain why I keep feeling like the stupid is winning.
4. Stepehen Colbert killed Maurice Sendak by publishing "I am a Pole and So Can You" today.
4. On the plus side, the Howard County Sheep and Wool festival was fun.