We're hiring an entry level web/new media person.
Web Content and New Media Associate
Position Summary: The Web Content and New Media Associate will work with Public Knowledge (PK) outreach and legal staff to ensure that the content on PK's website is regularly updated, relevant, timely and widely dispersed through the use of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube). This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, internationally prominent consumer advocacy group.
Position Status: Full-time, entry-level
Posting Date: April 28, 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Director of Outreach and New Media
· Coordinates with the Director of Outreach and New Media and the IT Director to ensure that content on the PK homepage, blog and issue pages is updated, timely and relevant.
· Works with PK staff to maintain and regularly update the PK Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and YouTube pages.
· Works with the legal team to "translate" PK's issues into layperson's terms, in order to communicate those issues to the general public.
· Writes posts for the PK blog and posts relevant links to the PK Tumblr and Twitter accounts.
· Assists in the planning and execution of PK outreach events and initiatives (for example, World's Fair Use Day).
· Assists in the writing, editing and sending of mass emails to the PK email list.
· Assists in the generation of audio-visual and other new media content.
· A college graduate with a passion for technology, public policy, media reform and activism
· Strong writing and communications skills
· A willingness and ability to learn complex technological and legal issues quickly
· The ability to produce high-quality results on tight deadlines and with little oversight
· Basic web design (HTML/CSS), graphic design, video production, social media, Drupal and web activism experience is a plus
Compensation: Public Knowledge provides competitive compensation, excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth.
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resumé and writing sample (less than 1,000 words) to Mehan Jayasuriya (firstname.lastname@example.org)
About Public Knowledge: Public Knowledge is a Washington D.C.-based, non-profit, public interest group working to defend citizens' rights in the emerging digital culture. Public Knowledge is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability. For more information on us, visit PublicKnowledge.org.